Thursday, October 8, 2020


1. CULIÁT (Angeles)

The town was inaugurated in 1829, and was given two names by its founder, Don Angel Pantaleon de Miranda: ‘Culiat’, a woody vine (Gnetum indicum Lour.) that grew in abundance in the area cleared by his tenants and future residents of the place. Another name given was “Angeles” in honor of the ‘Los Santos Angeles Custodios” (Holy Guardian Angels), titular patrons of the town, and of the founder himself. Only oldtimers use Culiat nowadays; to modern-day residents, Angeles is preferred, as it has a more cosmopolitan ring for a city.


Before the coming of the Spaniards, the town was called by its ancient name “Balayan ning Pambuit”, then located at barrio Palinlang (or Paglinglang), as the  poblacion was still forested. In vernacular, the place was originally called “dayat”, which means ‘an irrigated riceland or seedbed. Its most visible landmark is Bunduk Alaya (from ‘paralaya”, thus,  eastern mountain).

3. BACULUD (Bacolor)

The town known for its people of arts, literature and culture was called “Baculud”, from the word “macabaculud”, an upland surrounded by low-lying lands—which refers to Lubao.  Its name has the same etymological origin as the city of Bacolod.  Founded in 1571, “Bacolor” is the Hispanic name of this former capital of Pampanga.

4. CANDAUE (Candaba)

Candaba originally had an older variant name—Candaue, Candawe—which refers to a place where the municipal cemetery is now located. In old maps, the ancient settlement was marked as “Candave”, “Candava”, and eventually localized to “Candaba”. Already a rich settlement in 1571, it also has one of the oldest barrios in the province—Mandasig—founded by Mandic, the wife and first cousin of Malangsic, one of the children of Prince Balagtas, as related in the 1539 will of Pansomun.

5. CAUMPAUI (Floridablanca)

Before the town was named either after the count of Floridablanca, Jose Moniño (1728-1803) or the white pandacaqui flower, there was a certain place called “Caumpaui” existing in the area in 1847, that was established earlier by Spanish missionaries as a “hacienda” and administered from Lubao. It was transferred to the new town in 1867. Floridablanca is considered as Pampanga’s youngest town,

6. WAWÂ (Guagua)

The ancient prosperous town was originally called in “Wawâ”, which means “the mouth of a river”, based on its location. The spelling was Hispanized into “Guagua”in 1590, in much the same way that the “wa” of Palawan was written in old Spanish maps as “Paragua”.

7. BABÂ (Lubao)

“Babâ” is Kapampangan for “low”, in contrast to “baculud”. “Lubao” or “tubao”, is an extinct word meaning “to arise, or emerge, or float from water” (its modern form is the dipthong “gatao” or “gato”, to float) . “Babâ Lubao” thus means “to rise from the low depths of the water”. Old residents still refer to themselves as “tau cu Babâ”.

8. SAN MIGUEL (Masantol)

Masantol used to be a barrio of Macabebe, as recorded in the 1853 census. It was known as San Miguel, formed from the Macabebe barrios of Bebe, Bulacus, Caingin and Nigui sometime in 1877 or 1878. It was renamed Masantol, meaning  “a place full of santol (Sandoricum koetjape Merr.) fruit trees” after 1903.

9. MASICÚ (Mexico)

Before it was christened as Mexico in 1577, the place was called “Masicu”—and pronounced that way-- which may been derived from the “síko fruits” (chicos) that supposedly grew in the area, hence, “ma-sicu”. Another version had it that the town was “elbowing other towns”—hence, “macasicu”. In any case, the name was Romanized to “Mexico”, before the replacement of ‘X” with “J”, after the 19th century.

10. PÚRAC (Porac)

“Púrac”or “Pórag” was how the name of Porac was pronounced in the 1850s. “Púrac” was a flowering rattan plant (Calamus curag) which must have grown and proliferated in the area, now known as Porac.

11. CABAGSÁC (San Luis)

“Cabagsác” was the former name of the town of San Luis, a contraction of “cabág bagsac” , or “bagsácan cabag”, which means “ a drop-off place of  fruit bats”. The name was extended to “San Nicolas Cabagsác”, to honor its Spanish Augustinian priest, Fray Nicolas de Orduño.

12. VIRGEN DEL PILAR (San Simon)

Tradition has it that the former name of an Simon town was “Virgen del Pilar”, its titular patroness whose fiesta is celebrated every October 12. It is also to honor the memory of its founder, Mariano del Pilar.

13. PINPÍN (Santa Ana)

The ancient name of Santa Ana is “Pinpin” (variations: Pimping, Pingping, Pimpin) after an important person who may have lived during the time of Malangsíc. It was then placed under the advocation of Santa Ana when the Spaniards came, a name the town adopted.

14. SANTA RITA DE LELE (Santa Rita)

As a neighbor of the major town of Bacolor to where residents would go for their daily marketing and commercial transactions, the town was known as “Sta. Rita de Lele”.  It was also called “Sta. Rita Baculud”.

15. BALIWAG (Santo Tomas)

The traditional name of Santo Tomas is “Baliwag”, a new town in 1773. It is derived from the term “maliwag”,someone prone to habitual tardiness. It was rechristend Santo Tomas in 1792.

16. SASMOAN (Sexmoan)

Sasmuan was written on maps for over a century as “Sexmoan”, the Spanish transcription of the old town’s name, until 1991, when it reverted back to its vernacular version—Sasmuan. “Sasmoan” means “a place of convergence”, a meeting place where Kapampangans met when they were waging war with the Chinese. The sexual connotation of Sexmoan in English prompted the municipal government to return to the old name.

Monday, October 5, 2020

Old houses in Angeles City

Heritage homes offer soul, character and good bones. But owning and renovating one comes with caveats. A heritage designation, bestowed by federal, provincial or municipal governments, protects the features of a property that are of special heritage interest.

MANSION DE DON FLORENTINO PAMINTUAN located at Miranda corner Dalan Sto. Entierro, Barangay Sto. Rosario, Angeles City

This home of Florentino Pamintuan, said to be the first Kapampangan millionaire, was the site of the first anniversary celebration of the declaration of Philippine Independence in 1899; the waving of the Philippine flag from the second-floor window as well as the patriotic speech by President Emilio Aguinaldo is reenacted every year on June 12.

In 2010, the ownership of the house was transferred to the National Historical Commission of the Philippines through a donation. Restoration work has been done in 2012 with a budget coming from the National Government. The building now stands as a museum – Museo ng Kasaysayang Panlipunan ng Pilipinas (Philippine Social History Museum) which aims to present Filipino everyday life in the past and present, with special focus on clothing, music, food, and the life and culture of indigenous communities.

The house of the Pamintuans was one of the biggest and most beautiful houses of the country during the time it was built. A huge and heavy front door made of hardwood is the main entrance to the house. The grand entresuelo features a massive staircase of Philippine iron-wood. Its balustrade is carved in the most elegant colonial style. The whole interior of the house is a display of magnificent artwork. The carved ceiling is made of metal sheets in floral designs and most of the woodwork is intricately carved. Even the arches and the wooden buttresses that support the ceiling are ornamentally designed. The windows, walls and partitions showcase the architectural style of the period. The house also features two spiral stairways leading to a rooftop tower serving as a veranda, from where the nearby towns of Pampanga could be seen on a clear day. At the rear side of the house is another tower, probably a water cistern, because it is directly above the kitchen and the bathroom. Another massive staircase of concrete with branches in two at right angle leads to the backyard.

Heritage is the full range of our inherited traditions, monuments, objects, and culture. Most important, it is the range of contemporary activities, meanings, and behaviors that we draw from them. Heritage includes, but is much more than preserving, excavating, displaying, or restoring a collection of old things.

RAFAEL YUTUC SR. HOUSE located at Dalan Sto. Entierro, Barangay Sto. Cristo, another important landmark that stood the test of time, and bore witness to the rich history of the city.

It was built in 1923, the house originally belonged to Rafael Yutuc Sr. and Felixberta Dela Cruz. Rafael Sr. was a pharmacist who died at a very young age. Their son Rafael Yutuc Jr. & his wife Carolina Dela Cruz inherited the house. Mr. Rafael Yutuc followed his father’s footsteps and also became a pharmacist by profession. He was credited to have opened the first pharmacy in Angeles.

The house was said to be so beautiful that Juan Luna made a painting of the house, sadly the said painting’s whereabouts remain unknown at this time.

It was declared an Important Cultural Property by the National Museum in 2015 by virtue of the powers vested by Republic Act 4846, as amended by Presidential Decree 374 and Republic Act 8492.

MANUEL HENSON HOUSE (BALE CUAYAN) a historical structure that was initially intended to be a rest house for a sick boy, but was transformed into a residence, American barracks, band rehearsal area, and headquarters for Japanese invasion forces.

This was originally built in 1892 from materials such bamboo, sawali, and nipa, this structure was constructed by the grandson of the founder of Angeles, Mariano Vicente Henson y de Miranda, as a rest house for his sick son, Manuel.

MARIANO LACSON HOUSE was built in the 1930s at Dalan Sto. Entierro corner Dalan De Jesus, Barangay Sto. Cristo was taken over by the Japanese during World War II and was used as their garrison or base?

This house was also converted into a hospital — Mother of Perpetual Help Hospital — by Dr. Amelia Guiao & Dr. Luz Ayson prior their own building.

This house, owned by Mariano Lacson, a rich haciendero owning most of Sapang Maisac, Mexico, Pampanga, is declared as an Important Cultural Property by the National Museum in 2015 by virtue of the powers vested by Republic Act 4846, as amended by Presidential Decree 374 and Republic Act 8492

The Mariano Lacson House was said to have been commissioned to prominent Arch. Fernando Hizon Ocampo.

How to get to Angeles City

  • By Air: Fly direct to Angeles City via Clark International Airport (CRK) which serves international airlines such as Asiana, Cebu Pacific, Dragon Air, Emirates, Jin Air, Qatar Airways and Tiger Air, with regular flights to and from major cities such as Bangkok, Doha, Dubai, Hong Kong, Incheon, Kuala Lumpur, Macau, and Singapore. The city is also accessible from world-famous Philippine Beach Destinations like Cebu and Boracay (thru Kalibo) via Cebu Pacific’s regular flights through Clark.
  • By Land: Angeles City is about 45-minute (approximately 80 km) drive from Manila via North Luzon Expressway. Motorists coming from Metro Manila are advised to exit at the Angeles – Magalang toll plaza. Victory Liner’s daily northbound and southbound trips go through the MarQuee Terminal in Angeles City at regular intervals. Victory, Genesis and other major bus fleets bound for Baguio and Dagupan travel daily from Manila through Dau, Pampanga and drop off/ pick up passengers at the Mabalacat Central Terminal. It is best to ask the ticket officer or driver if the bus is stopping over Dau. From the terminal, one may take a jeepney or tricycle to the Clark Main Gate where passenger jeepneys bound to Angeles City are available.

Other related link:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...